It’s been a month of cookouts every weekend, and during the summer we enjoy lighter fare that matches the wonderful warm weather. We have been enjoying a lot of new and different recipes, but the one thing that’s been consistent across the board is our love of grilling with natural charcoal briquettes (I never realized that an old-fashioned charcoal grill is what gave that delicious smoky flavor), and BBQing for a more outdoorsy take on our favorite dishes.
We used corn oil for this recipe (someone told us it helps lower cholesterol more than extra virgin olive oil but I’m not sure if that is true). Corn oil is not as rich and flavorful as good Greek olive oil, but it has a high smoke point, making it useful for any recipes that require a higher cooking temperature (I love, love, love Greek olive oil, I don’t think anything is healthier and I include it in some way every day, but I can’t fry with it!). Corn oil cab be used for sautéing, grilling, and even baking even the temperatures are higher and you don’t want any smokiness that would make it hard to breathe in the kitchen or alter the taste of the recipe. Mazola Corn Oil has a neutral flavor, so it brings out the flavors of the other ingredients without taking over…foods that naturally taste good will still taste good and it’s a good option for frying.
We cook all sorts of meat, but lately, I am eating lots of grilled chicken. It’s delicious, better for you, filling, and divinely versatile. I found a recipe for Grilled Mojo Chicken with Pineapple Salsa, and it inspired me to recreate it with just a teeny twist of my own.
Grilled Mojo Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
2 cups diced fresh pineapple, 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
2 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
2 tablespoons orange juice
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 to 6 ounces each)
1/4 cup corn Oil
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. To make salsa: combine all salsa ingredients – diced pineapple, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro, and orange juice- in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To make chicken:
– Preheat grill to medium heat (about 350º F)
– Combine oil, orange juice, garlic, salt and spices in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Place each chicken breast is a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over the chicken, reseal bag, and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
– Transfer chicken from marinade onto grill surface and discard marinade. Grill chicken for 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
– Transfer chicken to a serving plate. Spoon pineapple salsa over grilled chicken and serve immediately.
It’s light and delicious, perfect for any time of year but especially during these gorgeous warm summer evenings when you are in the mood to be outdoors and enjoy some tasty barbecue with your family and friends.