Friendsgiving is a popular take on Thanksgiving when friends come together to celebrate good food and great company, and this put me in mind of some of my favorite shows and movies focused on lasting and real friendships. The truth is, lifelong, true friends aren’t common, but it’s amazing when you find a kindred spirit that you know you can trust and share with, and develop a relationship of mutual respect, caring, and fun…friends are worth celebrating!
I want my sons to grow up appreciating their buddies too, so this month I’ve been rewatching some favorite movies about friendships, and selecting some for them as well that they love, and hope your family does too.
Best Friendship-Themed Movies Streaming On Netflix Right Now
Some of my favorite movies ever are focused on the strength of the bond of old comrades, or the making of new friends, finding an ally during hardships, and a few of them are currently streaming on Netflix, so if you are in the mood for a good movie one of these might fit the bill perfectly for you.
1. Good Will Hunting Old friendships stay strong and new bonds are forged in one of my favorite friendship movies ever, about a genius on the verge of self-destructing who finds support and love whether he feels he deserves it or not
2. Muriel’s Wedding is a hysterical comedy filled with lessons about friendships that are real and those that are utterly superficial
3. The Wings Of The Dove is a movie about a false friendship that develops into something real because of how big the heart of the heroine is…her level of forgiveness is heartbreakingly beautiful. This movie is not lighthearted like my first two picks, so save it for an evening you’re feeling introspective
If you have children, teaching them to value friendships (and be a true friend) is a wonderful lesson supported by these wonderful shows and movies:
1. Charlotte’s Web is a childhood favorite of mine, and I love the remake of one of the loveliest stories of true friendship of all time.
2. Veggie Tales with Bob and Larry, who are a bit of an odd couple but true friends nevertheless. Loyalty and kindness are themes throughout many Veggie Tales.
3. Curious George is still our favorite show to stream, and an example of what being good neighbors and true friends is about.
What are your favorite movies about friendship? What are you streaming on Netflix?