Our weeknights are spent doing homework, having family dinner and relaxing together for a little while to read or watch TV before it’s time to get ready for bed.
We try to have family dinner together every night, even when time crunched, and a good way to do this it to make dinner something that is easy to eat while we do homework or spend time together, and chicken quesadillas fit the bill. Tortillas filled with a variety of healthy food groups in a baked, easy to grab triangle wedge- it doesn’t get easier than that.
I personally love Caprese salad, so when I make chicken quesadillas, I add in tomatoes, mozzarella, and balsamic vinaigrette to make it extra special, and it comes out absolutely wonderful.
My husband and I can help our boys do their homework while we eat, so we can spend quality time together every day while eating a delicious weeknight dinner. Here is our Easy Chicken Caprese Quesadillas recipe.
Easy Chicken Caprese Quesadillas Recipe
1 pkg flour tortillas
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 14.5 oz can organic diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinaigrette (optional)
1. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for ten minutes on each side until cooked through.
2. Remove chicken from heat and let sit for a few minutes (for juicier meat) before shredding chicken breasts using two forks to pull apart.
3. Lay out tortilla in a skillet. Top tortilla with shredded chicken, mozzarella cheese, organic diced tomatoes, a few pieces of basil, and a drizzle of olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette.
4. Top with second tortilla and press down firmly. Cook for one minute on each side, then remove from heat and repeat with next tortillas.
5. Cut each completed quesadilla into 6 to 8 slices, serve, and enjoy!
Tip: If everyone works during the day and you are pressed for time, cook the chicken breasts in a slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours until you return home. The chicken breasts will be very easy to shred straight from the slow cooker. Remaining directions are the same for slow cooker method.
Better tomatoes for my family
We chose Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes because we try to always choose organic when it’s available. Hunt’s canned tomatoes are peeled via a process called FlashSteam™, which means instead of using chemicals, like lye, Hunt’s peels all its diced, whole, and stewed tomatoes using steam from simple hot water- like our grandmas used to. No chemical by-products are put back into the earth as a result, and Hunt’s uses non-BPA lined cans. They are ready to use in my favorite homemade recipes- a big time saver! Hunt’s tomato products are 100% natural and non-GMO, with no artificial preservatives, and they are grown in California and picked at the peak of ripeness, going from field to can within hours to preserve their fresh flavor- unlike other tomatoes which ripen on the truck.
Let me know if you enjoy this easy recipe- it’s a family favorite and so rich with flavor!