Sponsored by Vicks Humidifiers
Cold and flu season is here, and we were hit pretty hard in our home- especially over the holidays! We got through it, thanks to some self care and the right products, and we are ready to take on 2018. Winter isn’t over yet, and in New York the temperatures are particularly frigid this year (feels like below zero most days) so I’m sharing my own cold and flu survival tips to help you comfortably survive in your home too, especially if you have little kids.
If you have little kids who are missing school days, if you have missed work, or if your home has just been attacked with the flu bug this year, mount your own survival campaign to get back to normal as soon as possible and actually enjoy the winter with your family.
Tips For Cold and Flu Season Survival
1. Get fresh air daily, stay very well hydrated, and amp up the fruits and veggies to get more vitamins and nutrients to fight viruses. Get lots of sleep too, because when you’re tired and not getting all your vitamins, you are more likely to get sick and stay sick longer.
2. Wash hands a lot, and mentally increase your circle of personal space when out in public. Don’t get too close to anyone if possible lest a random sneeze put you out of commission for a week or two, and keep your hands away from your face completely.
3. Take care of the air inside your home. Consider opening windows for at least 5 minutes a day to let in fresh air if it’s not super cold, or only open windows in rooms that aren’t currently occupied and rotate as you move about the house. Moisturize the air with a Vicks® Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier to keep airways clear and hydrated, particularly in bedrooms and most used rooms of the home. We have one in our family room and one in the bedroom of each of our sons to help us breath better when the air is typically so dry.
4. Have fun stuff ready to do for anyone who get a cold or flu, like crossword puzzles, coloring books, eReaders, etc. Keep fun indoor activities available, as well as snuggly blankets and favorite movies, so while you relax and get better, you have fun too. Better to have some fun while sick than to have no fun at all (and a good mood strengthens your immune system too).
5. Keep your medicine cabinet stocked with the essentials, because despite our best efforts to minimize germs, some will manage to sneak their way in (especially if you have little kids). Having the essentials, like Vicks VapoRub, at home ensures no need for a midnight run to the 24 hour pharmacy if someone is sick.
Buy a Vicks Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier at VicksHumidifiers.com to make your nights much more comfortable. It’s also available at most online and popular retailers. A Protec Humidifier Cleaning Fish keeps the water clean by reducing odor-causing bacteria, mold, and algae up to 99% and only needs to be changed once a month (as opposed to having to clean out a whole humidifying system with each refill without the Protect Cleaning Fish). If the sniffles have already started, Vicks Menthol VapoPads help sooth cough and irritated airways and fit right into the humidifier, and you can add two VapoPads for twice the power.
The Vicks Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier runs quietly and produces a cool mist you can see. I no longer hear raspy breathing overnight from anyone in my family. The added moisture to the air helps relieve cough and congestion long enough for everyone to have a good night sleep. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends using a cool mist humidifier throughout the winter months to help relieve congestion and cough in children, and maintaining the proper humidity level inside a home can reduce the survival of flu viruses both in the air and on surfaces, making it less likely for colds to recur. The flu virus thrives in cold, dry spaces so a humidity level between 40 and 60% is ideal, and a Vicks Humidifier can help keep the air moist.
With a blue Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier for one of my sons and a green for the other (we color code everything with blue and green), we all sleep more comfortably, and only Vicks Cool Mist Humidifiers provide the familiar and comforting scent of Vicks menthol. They were easy to set up and don’t require filters, and the stream can be adjusted from a slight mist to a very strong output that is very visible. The tank holds 1.2 gallons of water which can last up to 30 hours, and is designed for a room up to 400 square feet.
Win a Cold and Flu Survival Kit from Vicks!
The right tools can help your family survive cold and flu season comfortably, and Vicks is giving away one Vicks® Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier, one Family Pack of Vicks VapoPads, and one Protec Humidifier Cleaning Fish (ARV $110). To enter, leave a comment sharing how a Vicks Humidifier would provide comfort and relief for your family during cold and flu season. Ends January 31,2018, US only 18+. Winner has 24 hours to respond to winning notification via email before a new winner is chosen. Good luck and stay warm and healthy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Vicks Humidifiers. The opinions and text are all mine.