I always loved the beauty of individually served appetizers and desserts, such as french onion soup, chocolate souffle, mini apple pies and chicken pot pies. Beautifully presented in colorful mini-cocottes, these delicious foods are made all the more appetizing.
Of course I have to do this for my family, so with my four cherry red Le Creuset mini-cocottes, and my mother’s apple pie recipe, I made four delicious individual serving apple pies. We love everything homemade and as natural as possible, so our recipe is simple but absolutely delicious. This recipe actually makes more than enough for four mini-cocottes, so we baked the rest in a separate baking dish to enjoy later in the week.
Homemade Apple Pie in Mini Cocottes Recipe
10 medium sized organic Granny Smith apples peeled and cut
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
a dash of ground nutmeg
1 large sheet of natural pie crust dough
4 mini cocottes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
2. Mix all the ingredients together in one large bowl.
3. Spoon apple pie filling into four mini cocottes to top.
4. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out four circles in pie crust dough for apple pie top crusts. I also used cookie cutters to cut out cute shapes to vent (hearts, flowers and leaves are my favorites).
5. Pinch crust around edges to seal. If you like to decorate the edges with a fork or other design, this is the time to do it. I also took the heart shaped pieces of dough cut to vent the pies and decorates other pies.
6. Bake four pies at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until crust turns a light gold. About halfway through I wrapped aluminum foil around the edges of my pies to keep them from overcooking, but this is optional.
7. Remove mini-apple pies from oven and let cool. Serve directly in mini-cocottes, and enjoy!
The Le Creuset mini-cocottes featured in this post were sent to me to review, and all opinions are 100% my own. The mini-cocottes are suitable for a variety of recipes that require oven heat, to serve with directly from oven (for a beautiful display), or to store in refrigerator (oven safe, dish washer safe).