This is a partnered post.
When we first bought our home, we had to wait six months before moving in while major renovations were completed. We focused our initial work on safety, structural issues, and modernizing anything seriously outdated – like the kitchen and main bathroom. But after, we were able to move into our home, and focus on a more fun part of our home makeover- making the exterior beautiful. We repointed the stone in the front of the house and redid the siding and trim, because frankly, the house needed it. And after, it was just so beautiful, a deep, lovely blue color (with the slightest hint of violet) that made is stand out in our neighborhood, and resulted in many knocks on my front door asking for the information for who did this gorgeous makeover.
My house now actually looks like the home I always dreamed of, part stone, part beautiful, richly colored siding, with white trim around the windows and a white picket fence. James Hardie offers exterior siding and trim products for homes that can make them look stunning, so every homeowner can feel as proud of their home as I do of mine. James Hardie siding products are available in 16 national colors and 9 specialty colors (check out the Interactive Home Color Tool on their site).
If you live in Canada or Northeastern U.S., you’ll want to know that James Hardie fiber cement products are Engineered for Climate, which means in places like New York (where I live), HZ5 products resist shrinking, swelling and cracking even after years of wet or freezing conditions (we get some harsh winters here) and are water resistant, so they don’t swell either. HZ10 products resist damage from hot, humid conditions, and blistering sun and more (because our summers, on the other hand, are incredibly hot- we run the gamut here when it comes to seasons!).
Ready to give your home a facelift? Request a sample here from James Hardie. Here are some other ways to improve your home’s curbside appeal as well.
How to Make Your Home’s Exterior Magazine Ready
1. New siding in a lovely color is probably the most impactful way to upgrade your home, and your neighbors will appreciate a more attractive house on the block for everyone to look at. If your siding is outdated, or the color is unflattering or boring, consider a happy color like yellow, or a soothing color like blue. If your home is surrounded by greenery, both colors would coordinate well with the foliage and make the overall appearance both fresh and serene. Consider choosing a color that matches well with other materials your home may be made of (such as stone) and your roof, and consider siding with texture (such as HardieShingle® siding) to increase overall visual interest. The James Hardie® product line offers a versatile collection of profiles, textures, widths and colors to grace homes with authentic character in the tradition of great American home design.
2. Decorate the house with doors, shutters, lights, and hardware that coordinate and are modern and beautiful. Fiberglass doors can be stained in rich colors, and shutters are available in various styles, with the ability to be painted to match the doors. Exterior lights that provide security by the front door or light the way up the footpath are available in gorgeous styles, such as hanging lanterns, metro lights, and path lamps. Oil-rubbed bronze lights and hardware is an enduring current trend that is sophisticated, adding value to a home with simple elegance.
3. Maintain a beautiful garden. The water is greener where ever you water it, so focus on your own side of the fence and keep the grass lush and trimmed, with pretty flowers and shrubbery decorating the yard. If you don’t have a green thumb, this is an area worth investing in to hire out, because a well-kept lawn and garden will impress both neighbors and passersby.
4. Decorate with well kept pieces outdoors, such as a whimsical mailbox, a stone pathway with intact stones, a fence that is mended as needed, and patio furniture that is clean and stylish. Bistro sets are a popular idea for small porch areas, and decorative statues and lights in a garden are very welcoming. Everything should be well-maintained, either tossed when broken, replaced, or repaired, so the home looks cared for and loved.
James Hardie is trusted and chosen most
If you haven’t heard of James Hardie before in your home makeover research, it’s a good thing you are here, because they have a slew of recognition as top in their category:
· HardiePlank lap siding is backed by the Good Housekeeping Seal
· Chosen by builders annually as a Brand Leader in Builder Magazine since 2009
· Green Builder Magazine 2013, 2015 and 2016 Reader’s Choice “Most Sustainable Product”
· Featured on the DIY Network’s Blog Cabin since 2012 and Southern Living’s Idea House year after year
HardiePlank lap siding is North America’s #1 brand of siding, and is available as textured, smooth or beaded. HardieShingle siding achieves the handcrafted look of cedar with lower maintenance than wood-based shingles. HardiePanel vertical siding is available in textured, smooth and stucco. Paired with HardieTrim boards, it is widely used to capture rustic board-and-batten features. HardieSoffit panels and HardieTrim boards complete the home’s exterior in a cohesive way by adding a clean, finishing touch to porches, columns, doors, and windows.
For more ideas in inspiration, visit James Hardie, and connect with James Hardie on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter for updates and beautiful ideas for your home. James Hardie stands behind its siding 100% for 30 years and behind its trim 100% for 15 years.