My older son is always asking to cook with me, and I realized I can’t think of a better way to celebrate el Día del Niño on April 30th this year than cooking together some of our favorite foods. It’s a chance to not only spend time with him doing something I love, but a chance to share a family tradition and continue it with further generations, because when I was little, I spent the day with my grandmothers learning how to make favorite family recipes.
We love to make easy authentic Mexican recipes for our family to enjoy, and I found some delicious recipes on the HERDEZ® website to inspire my little chef and give him some great ideas for other foods we can create together. We decided to practice tonight with a family favorite:
Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs Recipe
4 chicken thighs
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 scallion, chopped
2 limes (one sliced, one juiced)
1/2 cup HERDEZ® Salsa Verde
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
1. Season chicken thighs on both sides with your salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over a medium heat, and brown the chicken thighs on both side for 5 minutes each side.
3. Lower the heat and add chicken broth. Let simmer for additional 7 minutes.
4. Add the chopped scallions, lime juice, and HERDEZ® Salsa Verde and stir together over low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Garnish with cilantro and lime slices.
Here is our dish… how does it look? It tastes great!! And the important thing is, we made it together ♥︎ Each year on April 30th, Día del Niño, or Day of the Child, is a special holiday celebrated across Mexico and in many Latin American countries to honor and appreciate our beloved children, and a time the community holds special events for the kids, which remind us of the joys of childhood.
You may win one of the following prizes:
– Grand Prize: 2 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $1000
– 2nd Place: 1 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $300
– 3rd Place: Child cooking gift basket
– Weekly prizes/honorable mentions: Child size Día del Niño apron.
There will also be Weekly Día del Niño Trivia questions on the HERDEZ® brand Facebook giving fans another opportunity to win a child size Día del Niño apron. And of course, find lots more easy Mexican recipes for kids to create with your own mini-chef on Día del Niño!
As the No. 1 selling salsa in Mexico, HERDEZ® Brand cares about authenticity in both food and culture and can have add flavor to your celebration of Día del Niño. HERDEZ® Brand encourages family and friends to celebrate their youngest family members by passing down beloved traditions where the heart of each celebration starts: in the kitchen.
Many thanks to HERDEZ® Brand for sponsoring today’s story and encouraging me to celebrate Día del Niño by cooking with my children!