Mozzarella sticks are a delicious treat, probably one of the most popular appetizers at restaurants, and a fun party food. They tend to be rather fattening, especially considering they are usually fried, but they are so irresistibly tasty. So how do you give in to the temptation that is mozzarella sticks without the guilt? Make healthy, Baked Mozzarella Sticks! Here is a recipe I love, and your family will too. (this is the baking dish I use to make them perfectly golden)
Healthy Baked Mozzarella Sticks
1 pkg. low fat mozzarella cheese strings (8-10 sticks)
1/2 cup flour
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup dry bread crumbs or Italian style panko (seasoned)
marinara sauce for dipping
1. Cut mozzarella string cheese pieces in half and put in freezer for 15 minutes (so they ooze less while baking)
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Place flour, egg whites, and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls for dipping. If using bread crumbs, season with salt and pepper to taste (Italian style panko is already seasoned)
4. Dip each mozzarella stick, one at a time, into the flour to lightly coat, then into the egg whites, and finally into the bread crumbs, completely covering the cheese. Pat crumbs on to help them adhere to egg whites layer.
5. Place each completed mozzarella stick onto a baking dish.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until mozzarella sticks are a golden color. Serve with marinara sauce or dip of choice.
I hope you enjoy this delicious, healthy twist on traditional fried mozzarella sticks. If you are health conscious, for your heart or weight, these lighter, less greasy Baked Mozzarella Sticks will make you feel like you aren’t missing a thing! If you try them, I’d love to know what you think of my recipe.
Note: Some comments indicate that mozzarella is oozing sooner than time prescribed in this recipe- keep an eye on the sticks while baking and feel free to shorten the bake time to suit your oven. If you see the mozzarella sticks turn a lovely shade of gold before the 10 minutes, take them out!