Almost everything around us, including ourselves, is made up predominantly of water. Drinking water is healthy for us, replenishes our bodies, cleans out our system, and keeps our bodies running optimally. Yet many of us, and unfortunately our kids as well, opt to drink sugary or unhealthy beverages that do not benefit us as much as a clean, cool, refreshing glass of water would.
Did you know that only 15% of school-age children drink the recommended daily amount of water? For healthy, happy, fit children, we should encourage them to skip those sugary drinks and drink water when they are thirsty. Here are my tips for encouraging your kids to choose water over soft drinks or beverages that are filled with sugar:
Tips For Encouraging Your Children To Choose Water
- Make water appealing by offering it in a fun cup or with an interesting straw
- Drink water yourself – Children imitate adults so healthy, water-drinking parents are more likely to have children who drink lots of water
- Speak highly of water “It’s so refreshing! It tastes so good!”
- Always have water available when you leave the house so you aren’t forced to buy sugary drinks for your children if they are thirsty
- Avoid keeping sugary drinks in the house so it’s not something they are used to or in the habit of drinking
That last tip is my main advice if I were to only pick one tip to share with other moms. Encourage your children to choose water by showing them it’s what you choose for your family, keep around the home, and drink all day. And of course, it doesn’t hurt to start promoting it early, like my sister is doing here with her daughter Victoria, a three year old who drinks lots of water already.
That’s one way I’ve helped my kids discover the wonders of water. Brita’s new product, the Brita Bottle for Kids, now provides an easy and fun way to have clean, filtered H2O on the go.
Now I’m curious, how do you encourage your kids to drink more water? Reply below and one of my readers will win a $50 Visa gift card!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Brita. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.